Saturday, October 24, 2015

WAVE 3 News- Non-Newswrothy 10/24015

My news station for these six weeks was WAVE 3, while a majority of their stories were crime, traffic, and weather, I went on the website and the second story listed on the website was a story about how a famous actress had died at the age of 95. This story is fluff. There is nothing life changing in this story, and while Maureen O’Hara is a Hollywood legend, this story is not newsworthy at all. The entire story consists of a summary of Ms. O’Hara’s life. While, I do agree that Ms. O’Hara is a Hollywood legend and she should be celebrated, I do not believe that by putting her second on the list on the homepage of the news was a good decision. Under the story about Maureen’s natural death, there was a story about a person dying in a shooting locally. While her death is important because she was a Hollywood legend, I do not think that she should’ve been prioritized above a shooting locally, while neither of these storiesa have the characteristic of being newsworthy, the shooting might be able to become newsworthy if the shooter hadn't been caught or had shot many people. The story's link is http://www.wave3.com/story/29920885/maureen-ohara-dies.
Here is an image of the home page that has the O'Hara story
as second on the list of important stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment